25 November 2009

There's the right way, there's the wrong way, and then there's the Dugway

Some of the NRO staff are working on a springs restoration project here on post. Yesterday, I was lucky enough to get out of my office (YAY!) and help chainsaw the shit out of some tamarisk. Quite the vindication to cut them down, given the days I've spent crawling through them (and getting stuck) to estimate biomass (thanks Lex) on the Rez, and all of the times I've floated past the tammiewillows on a river and wished ill will upon them. We didn't get a whole lot of action shots of the Tamarisk beat downs, but had a few good ones from lunch:
DPG Chainsaw Fight 2009
Maggie and I re-enacting cheering Neal on.

We also saw some of "our" eagles showing back up - last week I saw a pair sitting on adjacent telephone poles and yesterday, saw a lone bird near the air strip. We're working on our research plan to determine where these birds are coming from and what resources they are using while on DPG. Hopefully, I'll be getting out and getting some good photos of birds we're seeing in the field.

No comments: